Sunday, November 4, 2007

Newcomer? Greetings

This blog is devoted to my experiment in gameplay design. I started it 3 weeks ago, when a brilliant gameplay idea dawned upon me suddenly. Not that suddenly, actually, 'cause the last 3 monthes I played a lot of excellent indie games like those made by Introversion guys, so to some extent I was determined to think out something like that. And you know, I can't even tell you what the idea is, 'cause it would be a spoiler in itself!

Another thing is that I don't know how the game will look like in its final design. It can be equally platformer or rogue-like, so I've been studying which shell would be the best fit for the idea. Every several weeks I make a prototype that implements one of key gameplay features to elaborate into the final design.

By the moment I'm full-time gameplay programmer of Metro 2033: The Last Refuge game, but since the first prototype was completed I couldn't spend much time on anything that is not my project, so now I'm looking for a part-time job opportunity in the first place. The next step is finding a sponsor, but I should design the project into its final look before.

If you have something to comment, please do it - it's a great inspiration to see my efforts appreciated.

2 comments:

Sardaukar said...

Hey!

I was inspired by your words, and I am too a wannabe game programmer, but I have just started coding in C# and SQL for a banking software company. :( Any pointers on where to start? Thanks!

barabanus said...

sardaukar, if you just started programming, it's not so bad to work in any software company to hone your skills. As a rule, gamedev companies tend to hire experienced programmers, and sometimes they need at least one man to code user interface - good start toward penetrating the industry =)

If you like C#, you can study new technology from Microsoft called SilverLight. Here's blog of Mr.Phil who've been trying SilverLight as game platform.